Lateral Entry Licensure 

Licensure Types of Licensure |  Lateral Entry Licensure  |  Reciprocity and Conversion of SP1 to SP2 License     Licensure Renewal   |  FAQs Career Status 

Lateral Entry Licensure 

The purpose of lateral entry is to allow skilled individuals outside the public education system to enter the teaching profession. To qualify for Lateral Entry, an individual must have at least a Bachelor’s Degree from a Regionally Accredited College or University AND   


  • Relevant Degree or   
  • 24 Semester Hours or course work in a core area or 
  • Passing scores(s) on the PRAXIS II subject assessment test(s) for licensure areas 



  • 2.5 GPA or 
  • Five years of relevant experience that occurred after bachelor’s degree or 
  • Passed the Praxis I test(s), plus 3.0 GPA in all courses in senior year or 3.0 GPA in major field of study or 3.0 GPA on a minimum of 15 semester hours of courses (relating to teaching subject/area of licensure) completed within the last five years 

Once hired, a Licensure Case Manager will assist you with filing for your North Carolina License. Individuals hired under lateral entry licensure must affiliate with a college or university that has an approved teacher education program. The college/university will develop a Plan of Study, which will include courses necessary to receive full licensure. Individuals are required to take a minimum of six semester hours of course work per school fiscal year from their Plan of Study. All requirements must be met by the end of the third year of employment under the lateral entry license. The Praxis II subject area test(s) must be passed by the end of the third school fiscal year, if it was not taken and passed prior to employment. For more information on Lateral Entry licensure, refer to the State Department web site at