Looking for a Career Change? | Partner Organizations | Student Teaching
Don't miss our Teacher Career Fair on Thursday, July 31st. Click here for more information and to register!
Everyone has a favorite teacher that they remember. Who was yours? What about that teacher made them stand out? Now think of yourself. Do you hold those same qualities? At Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, we are looking for bright, energetic, motivated, and dedicated teachers. We want individuals who will be inspiring leaders in and out of the classroom, raise achievement for every student and will never settle with the status quo. We want teachers that students will remember and talk about for years to come. If you are ready to help prepare every child, every day, for a better tomorrow, click the following links for more information.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLYING FOR A TEACHING POSITION
Please review the Application Process FAQs for detailed information regarding the application process. Review the Tips and Resources for Applicants for help with your job search.
***CRITICAL NEEDS AREAS***
Each school has it's own unique hiring needs. However, it is generally true that the needs lie in the areas listed below:
Career and Technical Education (CTE)
English as a Second Language (ESL)
Exceptional Children (EC)
Math (MG & HS)
Science (MG & HS)
Speech Language Pathologists
CMS currently uses the TeacherMatch Educator’s Professional Inventory (EPI) as part of the application process. All external applicants seeking teaching positions will receive an email instructing them to complete the on-line EPI. On average, the online survey should take you approximately 90 minutes to complete. We take selecting teachers very seriously, and the competition for teaching positions with our district is intense. The EPI score, though only one component of our selection process helps us sort our significant volume of applications. TeacherMatch’s research is built on the most influential studies of education from the past few decades. These studies have been integrated to provide a meaningful definition of an effective classroom teacher.
WHY IS CHARLOTTE MECKLENBURG SCHOOLS ONE OF THE BEST DISTRICTS IN AMERICA FOR TEACHERS?
- We are a nationally recognized leader in academic achievement and instructional programs.
- We have a small-district feel even though we have 160 schools.
- We are a diverse district with students from 157 different countries.
- Throughout our seven learning communities, we offer a wide range of instructional environments for teachers, including traditional schools, magnet programs, and career and technical education programs.
- We use professional learning communities in our schools to build a supportive, collaborative environment for instruction.
- We are supported by parents and the broader community. We have over 91,000 volunteers at CMS.
- We incorporate technology into instruction by having SmartBoards and Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT) in select schools.
- We offer our 147,000 students the best education they deserve.
- Click here to read a letter from one of our students about coming to teach at CMS.
WHAT WE HAVE TO OFFER
- CMS has 160 schools throughout the greater Charlotte area. Click here for a list of our schools.
- We offer a wide range of magnet programs which provide public education options emphasizing specialized learning environments and innovative instructional programs to promote excellence in student achievement and growth.
Salary and Benefits
- The CMS teacher pay schedule includes the salary determined by the state of North Carolina as well as the Mecklenburg County supplement - one of the highest county supplements in the state.
- CMS strives to provide employees with the most competitive benefit package in the industry. We take pride in being able to offer comprehensive and affordable benefits. Visit our Employee Benefits web page for more details.
- Our teachers are included in one of the strongest U.S. public pension systems, the North Carolina Retirement System. Employees contribute just 6% of their salary to the System and CMS contributes an additional 14.69%. More information can be found by clicking here.
Teacher Loan Forgiveness
- The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program, offered through the US Department of Education, is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue in the teaching profession. Under this program, if you teach full-time for five complete and consecutive academic years in certain elementary and secondary schools and educational service agencies that serve low-income families, and meet other qualifications, you may be eligible for forgiveness of up to a combined total of $17,500 on your Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and your Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans.
- For more information on this program, please click here.
· New Teacher Mentoring - The CMS Center for Effective Teaching & Learning offers a comprehensive Beginning Teacher Support Program (BTSP) with the intent of ensuring that our beginning teachers have every opportunity to attain success.
Located in the heart of the Southeast, Charlotte lies within the southern Piedmont of North Carolina, along the state’s border with South Carolina. Charlotte is the largest and most accessible city between Washington, D.C., and Dallas, Texas. Due to its mid-Atlantic location, getting to Charlotte is easy from anywhere in the country or the world, hence its nickname "the International Gateway to the South."
Bright sun and clear skies are common during the summer months. Unlike summers in some Southern cities, very hot weather conditions (higher than 90° F) usually occur only 36 days each year in Charlotte. Snow is infrequent, with an average annual accumulation of less than six inches, but Charlotte is just two hours away from countless snow skiing resorts in the North Carolina mountains.
For more information on Charlotte and what to do in our area, click on the links below.
WE WANT YOUR FEEDBACK
We are always looking to improve our candidate experience. Please click here to take a quick survey regarding your experience on this web page.