Last Big Shot Saturday, Sept. 29
Students in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools will be able to receive vaccinations during the last Big Shot Saturday, Sept. 29. North Carolina law requires families to show proof of vaccinations for school. If your student has not been immunized yet, Big Shot Saturdays are available through the Junior League of Charlotte. Immunizations are provided to the first 100 children on a first come, first served basis.

Parents of kindergarten, pre-kindergarteners and students who are new to CMS are required to prove their child’s immunizations are current. Kindergarteners are also required to have proof of a physical exam or health assessment that has been completed within 12 months of starting school. Sixth-graders will require the tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis (Tdap) immunization or proof of the tetanus-diphtheria (Td) vaccine in the past three years. Parents must bring their child’s original or a certified copy of the vaccination record to the school.

“It is important for children to get their immunizations. It will help protect them from being exposed to diseases, which may result in illness, disability or death,” Mecklenburg County School Nurse Sally Pruden said.

Parents who did not submit the required vaccination record and/or health assessment by the first day of school had until Sept. 25 to comply. Starting Sept. 26, students whose records are not up-to-date will be excluded from school.

Parents are advised to contact their child’s physician or health care provider to check the child’s status and make appointment for required shots. Immunizations are also available at the Mecklenburg County Health Department (MCHD).

Last Big Shot Saturday is as follows:  

  • Sept. 29 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at MCHD Northwest Campus, 2845 Beatties Ford Rd.  

Parents must bring the child's original or certified shot records to the event. Call the health department at 704-336-6500 for more information.

Parents may also contact their child’s school nurse for questions on the North Carolina State requirements or go to the CMS Health Services web page for more information.