The Charlotte Symphony announced a new fundraising challenge, The Wells Fargo New American Orchestra Challenge, at a press conference on April 24 at Winterfield Elementary. The Challenge allows people to make contributions, both large and small, to the Symphony by selecting specific programs and projects they are passionate about.
Among the projects supported by the campaign is a free, week-long summer music camp for students at Winerfield Elementary. The Charlotte Symphony has long supported Winterfield students by funding the student orchestra and serving as mentors to the young musicians.
About the Challenge
Thanks to a generous $200,000 grant from Wells Fargo, the Charlotte community will be given a chance to support the Charlotte Symphony and have their contributions doubled. The gift directly supports the Charlotte Symphony’s goal to build a renewed, long-term and sustainable funding model. Wells Fargo designed the challenge to engage a broader segment of the community as new donors to the Symphony's New American Orchestra Campaign, a $40 million fundraising effort. The challenge also encourages major donors to increase their giving to the Charlotte Symphony.
Individuals can support and impact Symphony projects on power2give.org, a fundraising platform for arts and cultural projects created by the Arts & Science Council (ASC). Each donation will be matched dollar-for-dollar, up to $100,000, for Symphony projects on power2give.org.
Charlotte Symphony projects in need of support on power2give.org include:
- providing a free, week-long summer music camp for at-risk students in grades 2-5 at Winterfield Elementary School;
- offering students discount tickets to experience a Symphony Lollipops Concert;
- providing music scores, travel expenses and rehearsal space for the Charlotte Symphony's 135-member volunteer chorus, the Oratorio Singers of Charlotte
- and offsetting the cost of video equipment to present the world premiere of a digitally animated artwork by Matthew Weinstein at the KnightSounds performance of "Bolero Comes Alive" on May 4.
The Wells Fargo New American Orchestra Challenge gifts can be made through several channels:
- power2give: power2give.org
- By Mail: Charlotte Symphony, 301 S. Tryon St, Suite 1700, Charlotte, NC 28282
- By Phone: 704-714-5108
- Online: www.charlottesymphony.org