School should be a safe place for teaching and learning for everyone. On Nov. 16, 2018, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools announced that additional measures would be taken to help keep students and staff safe in schools. On Jan. 8, 2019, CMS updated the community on progress in key safety areas. The district will continue to update the community as further progress is made to make our schools safer for everyone.
1. Safety screenings to help keep weapons out of schools
2. Expanded video surveillance for better monitoring and response times
3. Deploying crisis alert systems so help arrives faster
4. Enhanced locks and digital technologies to better control who comes into schools
5. Active survival training
6. Faster and more frequent crisis communications and social media monitoring
7. Increased support for student mental health
8. Fencing and gates to control campus access
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District website (WWW.CMS.K12.NC.US) is in the process of
being updated to ensure compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
In the interim, any website accessibility concerns may be brought via the following, Email:
or Call: 980.343.0115.