Student Placement
Proof of Residency 
Before any student is assigned to attend Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS), the student’s parent or legal guardian* must provide proof of legal residence in Mecklenburg County.

All applicants must submit three proofs of residency.

All Documents must be pre-printed with the name and Mecklenburg County address of the student’s parent or legal guardian* and must be presented at the time of enrollment.  Families can enroll at any CMS school or at the Family Application Center.

Current student change of address request will require one document from each of the columns below.

All applicants must submit at least one document from each of the following columns.  These documents are for address verification, and must all reflect the address provided for enrollment or change of address.

Column A

Column B

Column C


  • Copy of Deed OR record of most recent mortgage statement
  • Copy of current Lease (including Charlotte Housing Authority and HUD leases) 
  • HUD Closing Statement 
  • Residency Affidavit from landlord affirming tenancy  
  • Section 8 agreement
  • Letter from approved agency (group home purposes only)


A utility bill or work order dated within the past 30 days, including:

  • Gas bill
  • Water bill
  • Electric bill
  • Telephone bill
  • Cable bill


  • Valid NC driver’s license
  • Current vehicle registration
  • Valid North Carolina photo identification card

Dated within the past year:

  • W-2 form
  • Vehicle tax bill
  • Property tax bill
  • Medicaid Card

Dated within the past 60 days:

  • Payroll stub
  • Bank or credit card statement

If a family has difficulties providing these proofs of residence CMS has an appeal process. Specialists at Student Placement and the International Center can provide guidance to families and schools in determining whether adequate documentation has been provided so that students may be enrolled without unnecessary delay.

Procedures for Proof of Residency - English | Spanish

Residency Affidavit - This form is available at any CMS school

Proof of Residency Frequently Asked Questions

This residency policy does not apply to homeless students, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Act.

Group homes are required to provide proofs from Columns A & B only

*Legal guardianship requires additional documentation from a court or agency.

For more information about the CMS residency policy email or call 980-343-5335.