The Learning Immersion and Talent Development programs accelerate student learning through a rigorous curriculum focused on the strengths of each child. Each school’s staff is committed to teaching students to use real-world problem solving and higher-order thinking skills to prepare them for the 21st century.
In Learning Immersion (K-2), students are challenged to reach their fullest potential. Student learning is accelerated through an intense program that focuses on Gardner’s multiple intelligences and project-based instruction.
During second grade, students are evaluated for entrance into the Talent Development (TD) program. The TD magnet school provides a full-day concentrated program appropriate for identified gifted students in grades 3-5. Students who do not qualify by grade 3 may remain in the schools, continuing in the Learning Immersion program.
Special Features of Learning Immersion
- Serves K-2 students
- Develops critical and creative thinking skills
- Uses seminar instruction
- Provides choices for learning based upon multiple intelligences research for primary students
- Introduces William and Mary social studies curriculum in grade 2
- As part of the Learning Immersion program, second grade students are provided an additional opportunity to qualify for the TD program through the portfolio process.
Special Features of Talent Development
- Provides full-day TD program for certified TD students in grades 3-5
- Focuses on differentiation, acceleration and interdisciplinary-thematic lessons
- Uses seminar instruction to expose students to exemplary works of literature and provide opportunities to explore concepts in greater depth
- Utilizes Junior Great Books for exploration of concepts in greater depth
- Emphasizes scholarly behaviors
- Incorporates identified students’ strengths with multiple intelligences and problem-based learning to promote scholarly, thoughtful classrooms
- Uses Math Navigations, Math Investigations and Hands-on Equations for math extension units beyond non-TD magnet schools
- Guaranteed continuation to the Middle Years IB program
Special Features of Learning Immersion/Talent Development
- Seminars and coached projects used to enrich literacy
- Special interest studies provided for students
- Emphasis placed on developing scholarly behaviors and critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Varied instructional and assessment strategies based upon multiple intelligences research with emphasis upon utilizing technology in an integrated curriculum
Entrance Requirement: Students applying for the TD magnets at grades 3-5 must have Talent Development Certification. If certification is pending, parents are advised to wait until testing is complete before submitting their application. Newly identified Talent Development students will receive through their current school a revised school assignment application to submit after a student is certified as Talent Development.
Is This Program a Good Fit for Your Child?
School(s) offering this Magnet Program for the 2012-2013 School Year:
Transportation Information: School Magnet Program Locations
|Learning Immersion and Talent Development|
||Randolph (7) (9)
||Myers Park (1) Harding (5) (9)|
||Shamrock Gardens, Idlewild, Barringer (2)
||Albemarle Road Randolph (7) (9)
||East Mecklenburg (6) Harding (5) (9)|
||Tuckaseegee Irwin Ave (2)
||Ranson Piedmont (7) (9)
||West Charlotte Harding (5) (9)|
||Irwin Academic Center (2) Mallard Creek
||Alexander (4), Ranson, Piedmont (7) (9)
||North Mecklenburg Harding (5) (9)|