In Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, we firmly believe that setting high standards for all students creates a greater opportunity for future success. We are committed to providing the support necessary to help every student succeed at high levels. Here are a couple of examples of how we are using the College Board's Advanced Placement Program to make that happen:
Equal Access to Academic Rigor
All CMS students who are prepared and willing to accept the challenge of a rigorous academic curriculum can enroll in Advanced Placement (AP) courses.
CMS offers the following AP courses:
- Art History
- Calculus AB/BC
- Computer Science
- English Language and Composition
- English Literature and Composition
- Environmental Science
- European History
- French Language
- German Language
- Government and Politics: Comparative
- Government and Politics: United States
- Human Geography
- Japanese Language and Culture
- Latin Literature
- Music Theory
- Spanish Language
- Spanish Literature
- Studio Art: 2-D Design
- Studio Art: 3-D Design
- Studio Art: Drawing
- United States History
- World History
Achieving Great Results
- AP enrollment has increased from 4,079 in 1995-1996 to 12,736 in 2012-2013.
- CMS has increased the number of exams taken from 2,200 in 1995-1996 to 9,022 in 2012-2013.
- In 2013, CMS students earned a score of 3 or better on 65% of AP exams.
- All CMS AP courses participate in the College Board's audit process to ensure rigorous college-level content and pedagogy.
- In Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools, 1,357 students have earned AP Scholar Awards in recognition of their exceptional achievement on AP Exams taken in May 2013.
- Read more about 2013 AP results at /News/Pages/Reading,writingSATscoresriseinCMS.aspx
- Scroll down for an infographic on the Rise of AP nationwide