How do I apply?



To apply, for the 2016-17 school year your child must be age 4 on or before August 31, 2016 and live in Mecklenburg county. You may schedule a screening appointment by calling one of the phone numbers below


The following documents are required for application:

      ·         Student Enrollment Form

·       Proof of date of birth and legal name (Please see options below)

  •   Original or Photocopy of Birth Certificate
  •   Passport
  •   State-Issued Identification Document
  •   US Department of State (I-94 Arrival/Departure Record)
  •  Refugee Resettlement Letter (Local sponsoring agency, US Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Refugee Resettlement)*
  • Decree of Adoption
  • Student’s Driver’s License
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • A certified copy of any medical record of the child's birth issued by the treating physician or the hospital in which the child was born
  • A certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a church, mosque, temple, or other religious institution that maintains birth records of its members
  • Previously verified school record 
    ·         Current Proof of Mecklenburg County Residency ( Please see options below)

 For Proof of Residency

 One (1) of the following documents must be shown:

  • Copy of residential deed OR record of most recent mortgage statement

  • Notarized Residency Affidavit

  • Copy of Residential lease

  • HUD closing statement


 One (1) of the following documents must be shown:

  • Any ONE utility bill or work order dated within the past 30 days, including: gas, water, electric, telephone OR cable

  • Valid North Carolina Driver's License OR Valid North Carolina Identification Card

  • Dated within the past 30 days: Payroll stub, Bank Statement, OR Credit Card Statement  

  • Current Vehicle Registration

  • Dated within the past year: Vehicle Tax Bill, Property Tax Bill, W-2, OR Medicaid Card


One (1) of the following documents must be shown:

  • Letter from approved agency ( group home)

  • Refugee resettlement letter

  • Copy of Charlotte Housing Authority lease


These documents are for address verification and must refelct current address for enrollment or change of address.  CMS has an appeal process for families who have difficulty verifying proof of resideny, so students can be enrolled without unnecessary delay. Call Student Placement at 980-343-5335 or the International Center at 980-343-3784 for more information.


Residency Affidavit - This form is available at any CMS school or the Student Placement Office


Proof or Residency Frequently Asked Questions

This residency policy des not apply to homeless students, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Act.

For more information about the CMS residency policy email or call 980-343-5335 


The following documents are required by the 30th day of school:

·            Current Immunization record        

·            Health Assessments for all new Pre-K and Kindergarten students


For more information, call (980)343-5950, email or visit the Pre-Kindergarten Office located at the Smith Family Center, 1600 Tyvola Rd, Charlotte, NC 28210.

Información en Español: (980) 343-5138