The Planning and Project Management Department provides project and process management to the district as well as addresses the facilities needs of the students, staff, and citizens served by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools by providing effective planning and management oversight for all real estate transactions and construction projects, creating and maintaining the Capital Needs Assessment (10-Year Plan) and successfully accommodating future enrollment growth and academic program changes.
We will accomplish this mission by:
- Managing various District projects
- Accurately projecting future school enrollments.
- Precisely identifying future facility capacities and locations required to house and support those students and staff.
- Allocating and placing mobile and modular classrooms to temporarily accommodate growth.
- Thoroughly estimating the cost of future facilities.
- Clearly and concisely communicating the capital needs to decision makers.
- Aggressively acquiring the land needed to meet those needs once funds are secured.
- Continuously maintaining and updating the inventory of existing real estate.
- Securing and managing moving services when current educational or administrative spaces are no longer adequate.
The current Business Functions of the Planning and Project Management Department are divided into four distinct yet connected areas of responsibility. They are Project Management, Planning Services, Facilities Planning, and Real Estate.