We know you share our concern for the safety of every student who rides a school bus or activity bus. We ask you to impress upon your child that it is absolutely necessary to follow the rules and to obey the bus driver. It is very important that you review these rules and responsibilities, as well as those included in the Student Rights, Responsibilities and Character Development Handbook, with your child and let us know you have done so by completing and signing the form included in that handbook and sending it to your school with your child. After 10 school days, if the school does not have the signed form, the principal may take away the privilege of riding the bus.
Duties and Responsibilities of Students on Buses
Conduct of Students
- Obey the bus driver promptly concerning conduct on the bus.
- Observe classroom conduct, except for ordinary conversation with students in the same seat, while getting on or off and while riding on the school bus.
- Except with prior written permission from the principal, objects that are prohibited in school, as listed in the Students Rights, Responsibilities and Character Development Handbook, are also not allowed on the school bus.
- Be at the place designated both morning and afternoon ready to board the bus prior to the time shown on the posted schedule. The driver is responsible for maintaining this schedule and will not wait for tardy students.
- Help keep the bus clean, sanitary and orderly and do not damage or abuse the cushions or other bus equipment. Students will be required to pay for damages. For the child’s safety, eating is not permitted on the school bus.
- In case of emergency, ask the driver to stop the bus.
- Do not use drugs, alcohol, tobacco or profane language on the bus.
- Students are not permitted to use recording devices or radios on the buses.
UNDER GENERAL STATUTE 115C-245, THE PRINCIPAL MAY PROSECUTE A STUDENT FOR: Misconduct On The Bus or Violating the Instructions of the Driver, the Following Are Examples of Misconduct:
- Fighting, smoking, drinking, using or possessing drugs, using profanity or refusing to obey the driver;
- Entering or leaving the bus without the permission of the driver;
- Refusing to be seated or not allowing others to be seated;
- Using the emergency exit when there is no emergency;
- Not leaving the bus at the right time or place;
- Delaying the bus schedule;
- Distracting the bus driver; or participating in any inappropriate behavior while riding the bus.
Repeated violations will result in out-of-school suspension and permanent removal of transportation privileges.
UNDER GENERAL STATUTE 115C-399, THE PRINCIPAL MAY PROSECUTE A STUDENT FOR:
- Willfully trespassing upon or damaging a school bus;
- Entering a school bus or school activity bus after being forbidden to do so; or
- Refusing to leave a bus upon request.
Unauthorized persons, including parents and guardians, are not permitted on buses without permission from the principal. Entering a school bus without permission is unlawful by North Carolina law and the violator could receive a trespassing charge. School bus rules and actions of school bus drivers are for the safety of our children.
Behavior on the School Bus or at the Bus Stop
So that the school district can provide safe transportation for all students, the following guidelines must be observed:
- Obey the bus driver at all times.
- Stand off the roadway while waiting for the bus.
- Be at the bus stop at least ten (10) minutes prior to a scheduled stop time.
- Cross the roadway several steps in front of the bus.
- Ride only on the assigned bus.
- Board and depart only at the assigned bus stop.
- Act appropriately while waiting for the bus.
- Give your proper name when requested by the bus operator or monitor.
- Remain seated at all times when the bus is moving.
- Remain silent when the dome lights are on.
- Remain silent at railroad crossings.
- Refrain from bringing food or drink on the bus.
- Refrain from displaying signs from the bus.
- Refrain from using profane language or gestures.
- Refrain from acts of vandalism.
- Refrain from throwing objects from the windows of the bus.
- Refrain from conduct or behavior that interferes with the orderly, safe and expeditious transportation of bus riders.
- Refrain from using cellular telephones and other electronic devices while on the bus.
Video cameras have been installed on some buses. Students may be filmed while on the bus.
Violations of the Code of Student Conduct or any behavior, which substantially distracts the driver and causes, or has the potential to cause, a safety hazard on a moving bus, may be the basis for suspension from bus/school and/or expulsion from bus-riding privileges.