How will parents be notified of the shuttle stop assignment for their child? When will this information be shared with parents?
Shuttle site information will be sent to parents via the “Transportation Intent to Ride” letters. This letter will provide parents with the preliminary information regarding shuttle sites, the official bus stop notification will be sent to families in early August.
Can parents choose a different shuttle location from the one that they are assigned? How do I request a change in shuttle site location?
- Yes, parents can request a different shuttle-stop location from the one they were assigned. The location must serve the magnet program their child attends. For example, a Collinswood student that is assigned to the Idlewild Elementary School shuttle-stop location may request to be re-assigned to another Collinswood stop (i.e. Shamrock) but could not request a shuttle stop that is not designated as a stop for Collinswood (i.e. Grier).
- Parents may request a change in shuttle stop assignment by completing the “Transportation Service Request Form” which is located on the CMS Web site (www.cms.k12.nc.us).
How can I locate the other shuttle stops assigned to my child’s magnet program?
Maps of the shuttle stop locations for each magnet program are available on the CMS Web site. Just click on your child's individual school Web page in the box to the left. The information is also available from the child's school or by contacting the Transportation Services Department at 980-343-6715.
How will the shuttle stops work?
- School bus shuttle stops will be established at area schools. Parents of full-magnet high school students will be required to bring their child(ren) to an assigned shuttle stop to catch a bus to their magnet school.
- The shuttle stops will all be located outside the five-mile radius from the magnet schools.
- Parents of full-magnet middle school students (as well as all elementary-age students attending K-8 full magnet schools) who live more than five miles from their school will be required to bring their child(ren) to an assigned shuttle stop to catch a bus to their magnet school.
- Shuttle stops will not interfere with the schools’ regular bus and car traffic – shuttle pick-up and drop-off times will be earlier/later than the bus and car traffic for the shuttle site school (transportation will make every effort to meet this standard).
How early can I bring my child to the shuttle stop?
Parents are encouraged to bring their child to the shuttle stop 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time. Parents are encouraged NOT to bring their child to the shuttle stop very early since there will be other traffic and students coming and going from the site. Parents who arrive after the shuttle bus has departed will not be allowed to leave their child at the shuttle stop and will have to transport their student to the magnet school.
Can my child park at the shuttle site?
No, there is not adequate parking for students to park and ride the shuttle bus. CMS does not assume any liability regarding the parking of cars by students that utilize the shuttle bus; these cars will be removed from CMS property at the owners’ expense. We encourage all parents and students to refrain from seeking parking in surrounding neighborhoods or businesses; CMS will not be responsible for any legal issues nor liability associated with the illegal parking of vehicles.
If I am not able to pick up my child at the shuttle stop in the afternoon at the designated time, can my child wait in the parking lot for me to arrive?
No. Parents who are unable to be at the shuttle site are encouraged to look for alternatives that will provide after-school daycare. All elementary and middle school shuttle sites have After School Enrichment Programs that provide a structured setting for students; parents must contact the After School Enrichment Program office at 980-343-5567 to enroll. There is a fee associated with this program. For more information, click on the After School Enrichment Program link in the red box on the left side of this page.
Another option parents may choose is a consolidated stop. Information on how to set up a consolidate stop and the regulations for doing so are also located on the Transportation Services Department Web site
. If you have further questions about consolidated stops, please contact your child’s school.
Parents are encouraged to be at the shuttle stop at the designated time in the afternoon; parents who are unable to be at the designated stop at the scheduled time will not be allowed to continue to use the shuttle stop.
Can I take my child to a neighborhood stop and allow him/her to ride the bus from the established neighborhood stop?
No. Students assigned to a shuttle site will not be allowed to utilize neighborhood stops.
If I have a question regarding the shuttle site, who can I call?
Please contact the Transportation Department at 980-343-6715 for additional information.
Who will monitor the shuttle sites?
- Sites will be monitored by a variety of security personnel, including Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department officers, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Police officers and CMS security associates.