As part of the Continuous Improvement process, the Board of Education approved the closure of University Park Creative Arts Academy and the consolidation with First Ward Creative Arts Academy effective for the 2012-2013 school year. In Nov. 2011, the Board of Education approved a one-year delay for the full implementation to close University Park Creative Arts and consolidate the arts magnet program with First Ward Creative Arts Academy.
The decision to delay the closure and consolidation were based on the following:
- Provide additional time to inform affected families
- Ensure school leadership is in place
- Establish culture and best practices with new staff
- Promote development of community partnerships
- Research more information regarding intersession options for students and their families