Who are we?
The communications team is responsible for maintaining effective communications within Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. It also serves parents and other members of the community and the news media by delivering clear, timely and accurate information about CMS. We communicate the objectives and accomplishments of CMS so that the public effectively understands district functions and goals.
The communications staff encourages and coordinates news coverage with media, arranges staff interviews and provides responses to requests for information to promote full public understanding of CMS issues, policies and accomplishments.
- Provide timely and complete responses to requests for information pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- Produce publications with substantive and timely information.
- Support the individual schools, Board of Education, superintendent, chief operating officer and other executive staff in actively communicating Board actions, new education policies and procedures and CMS programs.
- Build community support for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
How we communicate
In order to provide timely information both internally and externally, CMS communicates using the following methods:
- A weekly employee e-newsletter, DirectLine, is distributed to all 19,000-plus district employees.
- A monthly electronic newsletter, District Review, is distributed to parents, elected officials, faith leaders, business leaders, Realtors and volunteers and anyone who requests it.
- Journalists can access a media line, (980) 343-6243, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Weekly media briefings are held by the superintendent and include senior staff and other district and school officials.
- A Web site with press releases and an internal site updated almost daily.
- The Office of Strategic Partnerships engages the public by offering opportunities to volunteer and collaborate on projects.
- You can also follow CMS on Facebook at facebook.com/charlottemecklenburgschools and on Twitter at cms_schools.