Newsweek Magazine released its 1,500 Best High Schools in America list, with several CMS high schools ranking within the top six percent of public schools across the country. The magazine ranks Myers Park High as the 43rd best high school in the country. This national ranking is based on a school’s ability to offer educational programs and academically challenge its students. The formula uses the number of Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) tests taken by students divided by the number of graduating seniors from approximately 27,000 of the nation’s public high schools. The data used is from 2008.
The following are the other CMS high schools that ranked among the top 1,500 schools in the country.
- Providence High (186)
- Ardrey Kell High (264)
- North Mecklenburg High (328)
- East Mecklenburg High (341)
- Butler High (431)
- Harding University High (505)
- Hopewell High (534)
- Olympic High – Math, Engineering, Technology and Science (589)
- Olympic High – Renaissance (644)
- Olympic High – International Studies and Global Economics (1046)
The complete list can be found on the magazine’s Web site: http://www.newsweek.com/id/201160