Students are getting ready for a new academic year in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools and buses will soon be rolling on local roads around Mecklenburg County. CMS Transportation department has reminders for families as they prepare for the start of school.
* Please have students at their assigned bus stop 10 minutes before the scheduled stop time. Also, wait 10 minutes after the stop time to account for traffic or other unforeseen delays.
* Every child should have their mask ready to wear as they board the bus.
* Each child should have identifying information with them that includes their home address, phone number and bus stop location.
* Please speak to your child about proper school bus behavior including, but not limited to:
* Scheduled afternoon stop times will vary during the first few weeks of school. Many times, buses will wait at the schools during the loading process to ensure all students are on the correct bus.
Sign up for the Here Comes the Bus app. Directions are on the CMS website at https://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/transportation/Pages/Here-Comes-The-Bus.aspx.
Route times will vary during the first few weeks of school and the app may not provide accurate drop-off times. If you have any questions, please contact your area transportation office.
Bus capacity - There are no longer any capacity restrictions on our buses. You will notice more students assigned and riding buses this school year. Drivers must strictly enforce seating assignments and the district policy of wearing masks while on school buses.
Alternate stop requests – Parents may still submit alternate stop requests. If the alternate stop is an existing stop or one from our approved day care list, students will be assigned, and there will not be a delay in service. The form to request an alternate stop is on the Transportation webpage at https://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/transportation/Pages/Routing-and-Scheduling-Forms.aspx.
Please review street-crossing procedures with your child. Bus drivers will also review this information and use hand signals when it is safe to cross in front of the bus. This information is provided below.