Exceptional Children
Accessing EC Services: Non-CMS

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is responsible for locating, identifying and evaluating students with disabilities who are enrolled by their parents in private schools and home schools. 

What is the first step for families?

  • Concerned parents of school-aged students enrolled in a parentally-placed private/home school should contact the school to which the student would be assigned if enrolled in CMS or the Exceptional Children Program at 980-343-6960 or ec@cms.k12.nc.us (Information obtained will be forwarded to the student’s home school).

  • Students may contact their home school or the Exceptional Children Program once they reach age 18, the age of majority in the State of North Carolina, because the ability to make educational decisions and procedural safeguards transfers to them at that time (unless a guardian has been appointed to represent the student). 

  • Parents of preschool-aged students should contact the Preschool Exceptional Children Intake telephone line at 980-343-2720.

What happens next?

  • The Individualized Education Program (IEP) team meets with the parents and/or student to discuss concerns and potential next steps. 

  • If the team determines an evaluation is needed, written permission for testing is obtained. The team pulls together any already completed test reports and conducts a comprehensive assessment that follows federal and state guidelines. 

  • The IEP team schedules a final conference with the parents and/or student to discuss the evaluation results and decides whether or not the student meets eligibility and requires specially designed instruction.

  • The IEP team develops a proposed IEP, if applicable, so the parent and/or student can make an informed decision about services that would be provided if the student enrolls in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS).

Parents with additional questions about the Child Find Process in private and home schools should contact

  • Neva Butler, Administrative Manager, via email at nevar.butler@cms.k12.nc.us or via phone at 980-343-2686 (school-aged)

  • Monique Luckey, Preschool Child Find Advocate, via email at m.luckey@cms.k12.nc.us or via phone at 980-343-2772 (preschool-aged)


Home School/Private School Notification of Services

Programs for Exceptional Children has a duty under the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) to seek out and evaluate students suspected of having educational disabilities and provide appropriate services. After soliciting suggestions about the service needs for students who are enrolled in private, parochial, and home-schools for the 2021-2022 school year, it was determined that speech-language therapy will be provided to students whose primary disability is Speech-Language Impaired.  In addition, students who meet eligibility criteria under a different category but who require speech-language therapy as a related service will receive speech-language therapy. Speech-Language therapy is provided in the students’ school settings by contracted and licensed providers and includes regular consultation to each student’s general education teacher.  Services will continue until the current year’s proportionate share of federal funds set aside for this purpose has been exhausted.

If you have any questions or need further information, please contact Neva Butler, Administrative Manager, at 980-343-2686 or nevar.butler@cms.k12.nc.us.

P.O. Box 30035
Charlotte, NC 28230-0035
Phone: 980-343-3000
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools website (www.cms.k12.nc.us) is in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Any website accessibility concerns may be brought via the following, Email the Web Accessibility Team at WebAccessibility or Call: 980.343.0115. In compliance with Federal Law, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools administers all education programs, employment activities and admissions without discrimination against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, or disability. Inquiries regarding compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs or activities, may be referred to the District's Title IX Coordinator at titleixcoordinator or to the Office for Civil Rights, United States Department of Education.